Wednesday, July 23, 2008

disorientalism

much has been said about heath ledger's joker and i think i've talked a lot about it too. watching the dark knight again (third time! there will be a fourth) made me realize (what's another way of saying that?) there's another performance there that needs to be, well, praised (something's wrong with me): gary oldman's.

his jim gordon is so complex (as all magnificent performances should be) and so fragile i kept wishing there were a paul thomas anderson scene somewhere (you know what those are, right? julianne moore in the pharmacy? i've abandoned my boooy?) or maybe a faye dunaway-in-chinatown scene (the mouth-cuttings reminded me of chinatown). he gets to say the best lines too. those last words made me cry.

i need to write about maggie gyllenhaal; need to watch the movie again.

No comments: